Note: This version 2 is applicable since 25/05/2018 and until 19/12/2021. This version 2 was approved by the Board of Directors on 09/06/2018. It was approved by the General Assembly on 20/12/2018. Previous version. Next version.
The data we collect, how we protect it and how long we keep it
- We ask you to provide personal data only if you subscribe to our news and updates or if you register to become a member on Climanosco’s web site (hereafter the “Website”). When you subscribe to our news and updates, we ask for your name, email address, areas of interest and a password. When you register to become a member, we ask for your name, email address, mailing address, areas of interest and a password. If you register as a climate scientist, we ask in addition for your affiliation, areas of expertise and a list of publications.
- These personal data represent the minimal data we need to be able to provide you the services we offer. We use your data exclusively for serving the goals stated in Climanosco’s Statutes. We will not transmit them to any third party for any other reason without your written consent, except if requested by law.
- You can change the personal data you provided at any time by accessing your personal user profile.
- We may automatically record browser data, including IP addresses and user activities on the Website. We collect only the minimal data needed for our legitimate business interests, such as required to offer and continually improve our services, to enforce the Terms and Conditions and to provide evidence in investigations and any legal proceedings.
- We do not sell, trade or otherwise give away any user data. It is our policy to restrict to the minimum the third party services we rely on that require transfer of user data. When we do so, we select partners who have the highest standards in data privacy and who we trust will not use your data for targeting advertisements, optimizing search engines or analyzing your behavior.
- All data transfer between your computer and Climanosco’s Website are encrypted using SSL certificates. SSL protects all communications including sensitive personal information and ensures the safety of the information you send to Climanosco.
- We store personal information on secure servers that are managed by us and our service provider located in Switzerland. Personal information that we store or transmit is protected by security and access controls.
- We will retain your personal data for as long as is necessary to provide our services to you and the Climanosco community, and to comply with our legal obligations. If you request the erasure of your personal information, we will retain information from deleted accounts as necessary for our legitimate business interests, to comply with the law, prevent fraud, collect fees, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with investigations, enforce the Terms and Conditions and take other actions permitted by law.
How we use your personal information
- We use your personal information as required for the purposes which are in our, or third parties’, legitimate interests. These include:
- Providing and continually improving the services proposed on the Website;
- Operating the Website;
- Verifying your identity when you sign in to the Website;
- Keeping you informed about Climanosco’s activities;
- Managing Climanosco’s relationship with its community of users by asking for feedback or inviting user participation in surveys, general assemblies, peer-review of manuscripts or other Climanosco activities;
- Conducting analyses to help us further improve the Website and services;
- Monitoring activities on the Website for purposes such as identifying potential fraudulent activity and ensuring compliance with our Terms and Conditions.
- We may also use your personal information when required by law and for purposes of responding to requests by governments, a court of law or law enforcement authorities for investigations.
How to access, update and erase your personal information
- All the personal information you provide when registering on the Website is available to you on your profile page. You can edit and update this personal information at any time. If you are registered on the Website, you can also request to receive all the personal data we hold about you.
- You can unsubscribe at any time by using the designated form found in the footer of the Website or by contacting us at the address below.
- You have the right to request erasure of the information we hold about you. This excludes the data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal or security purposes.
Privacy and use of Climanosco’s online shop
- When using Climanosco’s online shop you will be asked to provide your name, email address, mailing address and a telephone number, so that we can process your order (e.g. donation, membership or purchase) and fulfill the sales contract on our side.
- Upon checking out, you will be redirected to the web site of the PostFinance Bank where you will be able to enter your payment data (e.g. credit card data) in full privacy.
- After the payment is processed we receive confirmation of your payment from PostFinance with the amount paid, the date and mode of payment. We have no access to restricted data such as credit card numbers and keep no record of them.
Privacy and use of members area
- Members have access to the members area of the Website where they can submit their own content for publication on the Website.
- Some types of content posted by members are designed to be published in the members area while other types of content posted by members are designed to be published in the public area of the Website and will be publicly visible. Detailed information is given in the Terms and Conditions of Registration and Membership.
- With the exception of the research articles, which are named publications, we will ask you if you wish to have your name appear on your content published in the public area of the Website.
- The responsibility is on the member to comply with the Terms and Conditions of Registration and Membership and to safely use the members area to not publish private or confidential data.
- The Website is not intended for children under the age of sixteen and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of sixteen on the Website. If you are between 16 and 18 years of age, you can browse the Website but we ask you to be under the supervision of a parent or guardian to become a registered user.
- If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personal information from a visitor under the age of sixteen on the Website, we will delete the information from our records.
- Despite all efforts made by Climanosco, the Website might, on some occasions, be subject to data protection failures or functionality problems. In such situations, Climanosco will take all necessary steps to re-establish normal data protection and functionality of the Website and will inform any users concerned.
- Climanosco cannot be made liable for possible consequences incurred in cases of data protection failures, breaches, data leaks or functionality problems.
- Contact with Climanosco can be made by mail or email.
- The mailing address is:
c/o The Hub Zurich Association
- The email address is: